you are loved

you are loved

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Agency and Anger

Authors profile picture
Jenni Northcutt
 (3 replies)

Toggle message body visibilityAgency and Anger 
A cunning part of Satan's strategy is to dissociate anger from agency, making us believe that we are victims of an emotion that we cannot control. We hear, “I lost my temper.” Losing one’s temper is an interesting choice of words that has become a widely used idiom. To “lose something” implies “not meaning to,” “accidental,” “involuntary,” “not responsible”—careless perhaps but “not responsible.”
“He made me mad.” This is another phrase we hear, also implying lack of control or agency. This is a myth that must be debunked. No one makes us mad. Others don’t make us angry. There is no force involved. Becoming angry is a conscious choice, a decision; therefore, we can make the choice not to become angry. We choose!
These quotes are from Lynn Robbins Anger and Agency that stood out to me.So as you guessed it I will be talking about anger.So for me I tend to get mad quickly and easily that I am not proud of. In the past I used these same exuses, blaming the person who did me wrong. I always said I'm not patient enough or I'm too sensitive but in the end it was all an exuse. Its hard to take responsiblity for a trait your not proud of but needs to be done so you can live in full reality. The beauty of self dicipline is that over time we can overcome these expolosive behavior. I know for me once I have calm down I feel guilty, shameful, sorry, regret. Anger has never made me feel good about anything or anyone. Anger doesn't benefit anyone but itself. Yes anger and frustration are normal emotions we all experience but when those emotions run wild it becomes an problem. The church teaches everything in moderation and that includes emotions, thoughts,actions, words everything our lives entail.This talk definitely put me in my place but I needed to read it. The beauty of the atonement is that everything we have done, felt, said, experienced can be made right. The lord can teach us self mastery if we let him. We can choose joy and understanding instead of anger, resentment. I have a long way to go controlling my responses to people and choosing not to get angry but I am confident with the lords help I can achieve my goal. When we let go of anger, we are freeing ourselves from destructive cycle anger puts us in.

No comments:

Post a Comment